.NET Micro Framework Web Server Unreliability

I have built a couple of home-automation devices using the Netduino Plus 2 and, until fairly recently, was pretty happy with them. Certainly the process of development using the .Net MicroFramework is really excellent – it is nothing short of miraculous to be able to debug embedded code in a desktop environment.

BUT neither of the devices was totally reliable and investigation showed that the web-server element of the applications was to blame. They would stay working for weeks at a time but then fail and fail completely – no longer visible on the network – and no longer fulfilling their functions as controllers.

The web-server code I was using came from this blog post by Jasper Schuurmans and to test it to destruction I used Selenium as described in a previous post.

Web Server Woes

Having identified the web-server as the culprit I assumed it would be easy to fix the code or to swap out a different web-server in total.  I worked hard on Jasper’s code to instrument it and identified that the code (almost) always failed at the same place – line 29 in the code below.

It seemed logical that I could just catch whatever error was occurring and deal with it BUT, and this is a big BUT, the exception was (almost) never caught and the main program loop was (almost) always halted too. I read up on various sites to see if I could find reference to the problem – and found at least one possible looking post – but nothing that specifically matched my problems.

So what to do?

I started to think of the things that might make my application differ from others and cause increased stress on the .Net MicroFramework that might cause it to break.  My home-page was loaded from resources (to avoid having to have an SD card) and was loaded in a single chunk of around 8Kb. I decided to split this up and send in chunks with a delay between – but again without success – eventually the application crashed without a catchable exception.

Alternative Web Servers

I then decided to locate and try out other web-servers for the .Net MicroFramework and identified the following:

I tried out each in my program to my horror in each case I saw the same result in each case. The application failed without a catchable exception.

I figured it might be something else to do with my app so I then tried NRestWeb without any modification – as it comes with a demo program provided.  And again – after a few thousand page loads the server crashes with a uncatchable exception.

So maybe I’ll junk the Netduinos and move to MBED?

I’ve already done the work to move one application to MBED. I actually did that partly to try out MBED development with a more real-world example – but now I’m seeing the benefit of that work.

It’s going to be more work to move the door-lock but maybe Netduino just isn’t ready for prime-time?

rob.NET Micro Framework Web Server Unreliability

Comments 5

  1. David

    Good post, I came across this while trying to figure out why my Netduino webserver seemingly crashes for no reason after hours of successful operation. One question, what version of .NETMF were you using? I wonder if it may have been fixed in the latest 4.3 build.

    1. Post
      Author
      rob

      David, I did try 4.3 but found it no better. I think the problem is memory management but I can’t prove it and have rather run aground. I ended up implementing a hardware watchdog to reset the device automatically if it crashed. In general I’ve mainly moved to working on MBED (mbed.org) as it seems a bit more stable. But I am missing the debugging capabilities (and other aspects) of the MS IDE.

  2. Anton Kropp

    Hi rob, I’m the author of NRestWeb. Glad the demo program helped validate it wasn’t your code. This exception sounds like maybe there exists a GC bug in the netduino runtime. was the exception totally uncatchable? Basically just wondering if there was any debug info. If it failed hard it could also be some native fault, in which case id post a repo to the netduino forums.

    Thanks!
    – Anton

    1. Post
      Author
      rob

      Hi Anton, great to hear from you. I think there probably is something going wrong in the netduino runtime. I wasn’t able to catch the exception using the normal VS Debug Exceptions mechanism. I probably should post it to the netduino forum as you suggest – is there a specific place you would put it? – I find it slightly odd the way their forums are based on the hardware version, tool or general – I’m not sure this is a hardware specific issue. Regards, Rob

      1. Anton Kropp

        Rob, I’d just post it to netduino plus 1 and 2 forums. Looks kind of like a catch all for that stuff. Still I think it will get some visiblity if you post a github (or gist) of a sample application that one of the core devs can look at, as I think this is a pretty major issue. Even if it ends up being a bug in something we’ve all done, it’d be good to have it pointed out by a third part.

        Best of luck,
        -Anton

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *